In 1951 the South West Africa Administration proclaimed
erven in the riverbed that could be rented with the
condition that no permanent structures were erected.
Shacks were built from wood and hardboard.
In those years there was only one shopkeeper, a German
named Köstens, who sold the bare necessities such as
rice, sugar, flower, tinned foods, coffee and paraffin.
In 1966 the Administration decided that the people must
move out of the riverbed and 27 people were given the
opportunity to buy erven on the north and south dunes,
either side of the riverbed. In 1967 the De Duine Hotel
was built and since then the town has slowly started to
Henties Bay was managed by the Board of Peri-urban
Development until July 1979 when it was proclaimed a
municipality on 1 August 1979 with a mayor and six